Friday, September 23, 2005

OK, I admit it ....I like him

It was a very atypical Friday for me. I had a couple meetings, including one at the end of the day with my boss. I decided this morning that it would be okay to wear jeans, even though I was meeting with a faculty member. So I put on my new skinny jeans, best thong and shaved my legs -- knowing full well that by preparing so well for happy hour I was no doubt jinxing myself from anything happening.

We headed out for drinks at 4pm -- it was liberating to wave good-bye to my boss a full hour early. But this was a special occassion, celebrating the end of phase one of a huge project that has consumed lots of people's time. I was invited because, as B said to the person doing the inviting, "you're going to invite ellie, right? because how could you not invite her?"

So for the second time in less than two days, I was in the same bar, drinking a Labatts Blue Light. There were about 10 of us, and when B got there, he came and sat next to me. At one point, when I found out our new co-worker was jewish, I asked her if she would make matzo ball soup for me, explaining that while I am an amazing cook and baker, the Catholic vibes just come out too strongly when I'm working with the matzo. I think the way I actually worded it was, "so you'll be my hook up?"

Being the smart ass that he is, B said, "the question is, ellie, will you be my hook up?" Everyone laughed, and being the discreet person I am, I couldn't say what I really wanted to. Any number of comebacks were going through my mind, but what I wish I could have said was, "i think we established the anwer to that last night on your bed."

He left about 5:45, talking on his phone briefly and then giving all of us a group good-bye. I admit I was disappointed -- I really didn't think anything would happen, but obviously I was hopeful. And I think I like him, and what he represents, way more than I want to admit. I certainly would never admit it to him -- not until I know where he's coming from.

That's my credo. And I don't get emotionally attached when there is a chance of rejection. And I know it lets the guy off way too easy -- but it's better to cry alone (when the good cry is needed) than to go through a big ugly scene, to go through the "it's not you, it's me," the "you deserve better than me," or "you're like a sister to me." That's what I can't handle. When I talked to my sister-in-law about this this morning, after she read my post about last night, she scolded me, saying that I shouldn't settle for being friends with benefits, that I should want more. And of course, I do want more, but I'd rather protect myself by pretending that I don't than get hurt. It's like public rejection, even if its only him that knows he's rejecting me. Hearing it out loud -- I can't take the risk. My heart has been broken too many times. Eventually someone will make me trust them, someone will get through my protective barrier. I hope.

My sidenote to this post is that I know I'm such a hypocrite, because I would hate if any of my nieces and friends felt like this about themselves. And I would kick their ass for not having more respect for themselves, for not expecting the best for themselves. But I guess I've been beaten down too many times to want to put it all out there so easily.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie, don't settle for less. It's the settling that's painful. Sounds like you had the truest sort of intimacy, the kind that forms the basis of friendship. Even if that's all you had, wouldn't that be wonderful ? It may not result in a husband or a baby, but neither will it make you feel beaten down, or cause you to disrespect yourself. I think that the "friends with benefits" idea, is one of the most damaging things that we can do to ourselves, because when we do it, we lie to ourselves and the other person.

ellie said...

In my mind I know its damaging, in my heart, its my way of prtecting myself, even though I know I'll probably end up hurt anyway.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, but I find myself being one too. Its hard to be yourself when one thing about you, someone might not like.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.