Saturday, September 10, 2005

Duck, Duck, Goose

I once read: "We expect the places of our childhood to be eternal."

And are always disappointed when they're not. However, today I visited a place that still holds the magic that it did when I was little. Webster's Pond. It's a duck and bird sanctuary in Syracuse, and so after a thoroughly wonderful trip to the zoo with my "little sister," I took her to Webster's Pond.

The old barn is still standing, but didn't seemed to be in use. They've brought in a trailer to act as the "office" and place where you get the kernels to feed the ducks. Always thinking ahead, I snagged a can of corn from my brother before heading down, just in case the barn wasn't open.

I don't know what it is about the "duck pond," as we always referred to it. It was always a treat to go there. To feed the ducks. To get ice cream either on our way there or on our way home. But even without the ice cream, the duck pond was special.

And maybe its the simplicity of it that is special. Ducks. Geese. Swans. A small pond. A gravel driveway. A small grassy area. And benches. Grab a little cup of kernels to feed the ducks and any child is in heaven. The ducks, geese and swans are so used to being fed by people that many will eat out of your hand. Or be so bold as to walk up next to your bench if they feel they are being ignored.

Its a peaceful place. Back far enough from the road to not really notice the traffic going by. The only noise is that of the fowl, barking at each other, chasing each other away, or perhaps proclaiming themselves the "queen of the pond." And there is the chatter of the kids, as they run and chase the ducks that have found their way onto the gravel area.

I used to take Tiffany to the duck pond when she was little. I felt it was our special place. And even now, when we have been on our way to family events and she rode up from the south with me, we've stopped. And today, I took Mary. And we sat on a bench, with the baggie of soft corn from Bob and two cups of hard kernels, throwing the food out farther to the ducks -- who in the hierarchy of things didn't come close to the edge of the pond -- and feeding the geese and swans out of our hands.

I look forward to the day when I can bring my own kids to the duck pond. To get ice cream. And to create memories.

As I said to the man in the office when I got my cups of kernels, "thank you for still being here."

1 comment:

Erica said...

I can't believe it. My mom used to take my brother and I to Webster's Pond when I was little (I grew up in Syracuse). It was there that my mom lost her engagement ring in the water.