Saturday, September 17, 2005

It'd be easier if I really could just be Mrs. Jeter

I've had a good Saturday, so far. I took my "little sister" to a community carnival and when I picked her up, she said, "did you get skinnier from last week? You're like this big skinny person." And then when I got to the carnival, I ran into a friend I haven't seen in about a month and she said, "you're like melting away." Okay, so yesterday I was frustrated because I am still hovering right between 30 and 35 pounds and I only lost about a half pound in the last week -- and I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I've been working out a lot. I guess other people noticing has helped my mood and keeps me motivated.

On the e-harmony front, I haven't heard back from Tim and of course I am now second-guessing my answers, or my lists and wondering if he thinks I'm shallow. Am I shallow? I don't think so. I also have been given about five or six other matches -- none of whom have answered my first set of questions. So what seemed so promising at the beginning is starting to be exactly as I remember my last experience.

Here are Tim's must haves and can't stands:

Must Haves:
Sense of Humor... I must have someone who is sharp and can enjoy the humorous side of life.
Family... I must have someone who shares my desire to have or adopt children.
Shared Interests... I must have someone who is willing to share my interests and passions.
Personal Habits... I must have a partner who maintains high standards of personal hygiene, orderliness, and other personal habits.
Passionate... I must have someone who is willing to explore our sexual desires with passion andunderstanding.
Self-Confident... I must have a partner who knows and believes in himself/herself throughout life'sups and downs.
Communicator... I must have someone who is good at talking and listening.
Adaptability... I must have a partner who is able to adapt to life's surprises.
Exciting... I must have someone who isn't afraid to take a risk and who sees life as an adventure.
Patience... I must have someone who can handle life's frustrations or momentary setbacks with apatient, steady, demeanor.

Can't Stands:
Worrier... I can't stand someone who easily loses perspective and constantly worries.
Lying... I can't stand someone who lies to anyone-especially to me.
Petty... I can't stand someone who focuses on imperfection.
Extremely Shy... I can't stand someone who is so shy that they cannot open up and share with me.
Poor Hygiene... I can't stand someone who is not clean.
Cheating... I can't stand someone who takes advantage of people.
Undependable... I can't stand someone who fails to come through and is unreliable.
Addictions... I can't stand someone who currently suffers from addictions.
Infidelity... I can't stand someone who engages in sex outside a committed relationship.
Denial... I can't stand someone who is unable to accept blame or see fault in their own actions.

And mine:

My must haves:
Family Life... I must have a partner who is committed to marriage, home, and family.
Family... I must have someone who shares my desire to have or adopt children.
Passionate... I must have someone who is willing to explore our sexual desires with passion andunderstanding.
Responsible... My partner must be financially responsible.
Attractiveness... I must have a partner who is considered "very attractive" by most current standards.
Sociability... I must have a partner who loves to socialize with lots of different people.
Affectionate... I must have someone who is comfortable giving and receiving affection.
Kindness... I must have a partner who is gentle and kind.
Strong Character... I must have a partner who is honest and strong enough to do the right thing.
Chemistry... I must feel deeply in love with and attracted to my partner.

My can't stands:
Fiscally Irresponsible... I can't stand someone who is incapable of managing their money.
Anger... I can't stand someone who can't manage their anger, who yells, or bottles it up inside.
Rude... I can't stand someone who is belittling, impatient or hateful to people in anysituation.
Recklessness... I can't stand someone who has a careless and irresponsible manner when with others.
Poor Hygiene... I can't stand someone who is not clean.
Racist... I can't stand someone who believes that any particular ethnic group to which theybelong is superior to the rest of humanity.
Cheating... I can't stand someone who takes advantage of people.
Excessive Overweight... I can't stand someone who is overweight.
Infidelity... I can't stand someone who engages in sex outside a committed relationship.
Victim Mentality... While everyone has times of self-pity, I can't stand someone who continually seeshimself/herself as a victim.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the things that I have learned to dislike about online dating is just what you describe... being judged based on a list. There is no opportunity to develop friendship, no way to know if you have that chemistry that you are looking for, no chance to see that quizzical expression that he may get from time to time, or for him to love the sound of your laugh.

Myself, I have decided to abandon online dating after a year of trying it out. I did fall in love with someone, but it has been a painful and unsuccessful process. We were GREAT online, and HORRIBLE in person.

I am not a list, I am a person. Not everyone I meet might be the love of my life, but he could be my next best friend, or the person who introduces me to the love of my life. Online dating just doesn't leave room for that.