Friday, September 09, 2005

The PR Goddess Wants Out

I'm bored. I'm going through a funk at work. The feeling was there before my vacation, but has gotten worse since I got back.

Was it because I had a week away, a week doing absolutely nothing? Probably. Also part of the equation that has to be considered: I was in Viriginia. I miss Virginia. I don't miss Baltimore (Charm City, my ass). But I do miss Virginia. I could live in Virginia. I could work in Virginia.

But hmmmm.....why did I move back to New York then? Mostly because this is where I got offered a job first, sure. But I also missed being near my family. But I have family in Virginia. Ok, I'm going off on a tangent -- this is about me being bored at work.

I like most of the people I work with. I like working on a college campus (though I hate all the red tape and committees -- just make a decision for the love of God). But I don't necessarily like my actual job. I miss the parts of my old jobs that I really excelled at.

I miss doing the media relations, the public relations, the special event planning. I miss being fearless, knowing that when CNN or WCBS called me, I was instantly ready to do a live interview and knowing that everything that came out of my mouth was fine. I miss (even with ALL the work that goes into it) the special events -- the hectic, hair-pulling parts of it, the 14-hour days leading up to the event, the 20-hour day the day of the event, the last minute crisis that may pop up. Because again, I was fearless. I knew what I was doing. I knew how the handle the situation. Any situation.

Right now, I'm doing more martketing, more strategy. I'm not a strategist, not a marketing guru. I am a PR Goddess.

And so just 14 months into my new job, I'm looking towards the horizon. Looking at what else Ithaca has to offer. And if not Ithaca -- *sigh* the thought of moving AGAIN makes my head hurt -- then somewhere else.

And so begins -- every quietly, every slowly, every thoughfully -- the search for a new job.

No comments: