Sunday, September 25, 2005

Things my mother says....part 2

My parents came to Ithaca for dinner today. And dinner on a Sunday means 2 or 3. She told me that they would be arriving about 12:30. It was about 11:30, and I had just finished making cookies, the sauce was back on the stove and the kitchen was clean. I was dressed but still needed to do my hair and a little more picking up in the living room. I was sitting at the computer, IMing with B, straightening iron plugged in -- lots of time, right? Wrong.

"Hello...we're here."

"Is it 12:30 already?" I say, trying to sound sarcastic and not at the same time.

"We didn't have to stay at the hospital (where they volunteer on Sunday mornings) as long as we thought."

Great. So I finished with B, ran into the bathroom to do something with my hair. Fran walked upstairs, put something in my room, and came into the bathroom. "Oh wow, your hair is short."

Generally that's what happens when you cut 10 inches off. But I said nothing and nodded.

Downstairs, they were watching TV while I was puttering around the kitchen. And the 20 questions began. I'm not sure exaclty why she grates on my nerves when this happens, or why I'm not used to it, because it always happens.

"How's Jennifer? Now how old is her baby? Now are her brothers married? And her sister? Where do they live? Do they have kids? Have you talked to Kelly recently? How are they doing?" And on and on, until we've gone through all my high school friends and their marital status and child count.

I tried distracting her by giving her my vacation pictures to look at. Unfortunately, that just started in with a new set of questions about my friends from college. And then the ultimate: "You've got to tell your friends to stop getting married before you go broke. Or was Mike your last single friend?"

Yea....moms are fun, aren't they?

E-harmony update:

After going through my list of people, and putting "on hold" those who haven't gotten back to me in over a week, I am down to two that I have communicated with once and haven't heard back from, and two who have gone through all stages and I am waiting for an actual real e-mail from them. One is Dan from Binghamton (picture with the Yankees hat on) and Jeff from Syracuse.

1 comment:

ellie said...

Good for you! Let me know how it goes.