Wednesday, November 09, 2005

We know Drama

TNT isn't the only place. Two days after ridding myself of all bitter feelings about my sister, after sending her an e-mail telling her how I felt and why she's a bitch (in the nicest way possible of course), I got the following response back:

Ellie, The address that I sent it to is the only address I have. Usually when someone moves, Fran tells me but I guess she missed this one. Let me know what it is because I still do not know what it is. As for attending things, we don't feel comfortable attending, as sorry to say, that is the only time we hear from anyone. We would never do anything to hurt Trick and Fran and unfortunately they, along with Bob and Sally, are the only ones we hear from. I am sorry if you felt I was being non-responsive to your emails. I would have like updates or even been able to help do anything. I don'tknow what has happened but remember growing up, Frank and I were the only ones that did things with you and now when you are in town, which we find out after the fact, we never hear from you and I know all of our lives are extremely busy. I guess things will probably never change but let's at least have a good time at the party which we plan on doing. Love Sue

When I first read it, I felt bad. If she really feels that way, then she got to the sap in me. But then I read it again, and thought, "hmmm...it's never Sue's fault." I called Sammi at work and read it to her. Being a part of the emotional family that she is, Sammi started to cry. And that's when I felt bad. I didn't anticipate this from her. I thought she had gotten to the point where she was all cried out where Sue was concerned. I guess these wounds run too deep.

Families hurt each other. More than friends. More than lovers. Because they can. Because no matter the hurt, the family tie is still there. Time after time families hurt each other, hurt other members. You hope things will change, you hope that this time will be different. And it's not. And just when you thought you could be hurt no more, just when you thought that you had no feelings one way or the other, you get thumped in the gut.

And that's what happened to Sammi today. And that's what happened to me the other day after Sue's first e-mail. It hit me hard, and I finally threw my hands in the air, and composed my response back to her. I think I've gotten to the point where I don't care one way or the other...I think. But I'll keep my gut in check, preparing for a thumping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Acceptance is the key. That has worked well for us. We know and love each other's faults, limitations, and shortcomings. We have bad days, we fight, we gossip about each other, and we help each other anyway.