Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Little Bit of This, a Little Bit of That...

What a beautiful and totally unrealistic November day in upstate New York. It must have easily been 60, with a nice, warm wind and blue skies. I can only take this weather as a sign that Mother Nature is getting ready to bitch slap us with a mother of a winter. Something tells me (maybe a lot of talk related to the Farmer's Almanac) that we're in for a doozy.

***

I spoke to Morty tonight, and we caught up on life in Ithaca and life in Baltimore. He hasn't been to the Museum in more than a month, when he cataloged some pictures that a former board member got donated by the Washington Post. Pictures that he had never seen before, pictures of Babe off the field, with family -- pictures, I decided as the conversation played out, that would have been more appreciated by the Baseball Hall of Fame, because they were pictures that haven't been properly thanked for and that seemed to be considered very "whatever" by some of the curatorial staff. Can I say again -- I'm so glad I got out of there when I did.

***

My sister is thoroughly pissing me off. And I really think she's doing this just to push my buttons. And it's working. She has been so difficult to work with on this whole anniversary party -- giving me a hard time about the money, about the invitation list, about the planning, etc. She doesn't respond to any update or e-mail question I may send her way. She even went so far as to say that would only pay $300 "and not a penny more," when I really needed everyone to pony up $350. So my brother called her and basically said, "you pay $350 like everyone else. or you don't come." She backtracked and said she would pay $350 by the determined deadline of November 1.

Well, November 1 has come and gone -- and I have yet to get a penny from her. Even after I sent her a reminder e-mail two weeks ago -- to her and to my other siblings who still owed at that point. Even after I sent a party update e-mail on Monday. I don't technically need the money until closer to the party, when we pay the hotel. But that's not the point. If she had sent me an e-mail and said she would be sending me the check by the end of the week or early next week, that would have been fine. But to have November 1 go by, on top of the royal bitch she has beent hroughout this entire process -- I so don't want her to come.

Our mantra has become..."I can't wait until November 20 (the day after the party) because we never have to deal with her." And that my friends, is sad, but true.

***

The good news about the anniversary party -- I just received a call from some friends who will be traveling from Ohio for the party. I honestly didn't expect them to come, but I'm really excited. They used to live in Syracuse, and I babysat for them when I was in high school (it was a little unsettling to hear that one daughter is in college, the other a senior in high school).

My mom has been asking me if I've heard from them each time we talk. So I told Sari that I wasn't going to tell my mom, that we would let it be a surprise. I'm really excited about this, that they are traveling the weekend before Thanksgiving to come to the party. It will be nice to see them, to catch up with them -- and also what a nice tribute to my parents, and what their friendship means to them.

***

I sent an e-mail out to everyone in my address book (and asked my sibling to do the same), asking my friends to send my parents a card. I know someone who did this when her parents celebrated their 50th and they received over 300 cards. My mom got the first one yesterday, from my former boss. I think she genuinely touched and surprised. I hope they get at least one every day between now and the party/anniversary day. Like I've said before, I couldn't imagine spending 50 years with either one of them -- so god bless them for sticking it out and having fun along the way.

No comments: