Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Introductions, please...

I e-mailed my friend JRK yesterday, about dating -- or lack of -- and I mentioned that it seemed highly improbable that of every person we each know, that no one knows a single man that they would be willing to introduce us to. And then I thought, well, I'm being a whiner. I'm being a baby -- just grow up.

But then she e-mailed me back, feeling the exact same way. She even expanded on my rant to the point that not only did it make me feel better, but actually made me laugh: I would agree that it is so difficult to believe that no one knows any nice, eligible, decent, employed, men who have college degrees, good jobs, nice cars, own property and have their own retirement accounts, who are worthy of us... What gives? People are so stingy with their recommendations of big, beefy men...

So really...what gives?

And then I thought...hmmm, if I had a single friend, would I be able to try to make a match?

And the answer is yes -- and though the match never actually happened, the intention was there and known that I wanted to introduce my second oldest niece to someone I work with. And I would hope that while the introductions never actually happened because of distance and proximity, etc...that both appreciated the gesture nonetheless, and have the knowledge that I'm looking out for them.

And I even fixed JRK up with someone when I was living in Baltimore -- and while that didn't work out, I think she had fun while it lasted. JRK, true?

But that leads to my quandry -- where do I meet a man? Hope thinks I should put something on my weekly to do list, to do something new. Not necessarily to meet someone, but to do something. It sort of goes along with the book, of making myself open to meeting more men.

I've started keeping my "list," as the book suggests, and my numbers aren't as dismal as I thought they might be. So I'll keep at it. And we'll see -- but really, where are all the good, single, straight men? Because I'm starting to become convinced that not only are they not in Ithaca, but they also know no one in Ithaca. At least no one that knows me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, hon. I did have some fun times with JS and am so thrilled that a friend, you, did take the time and chance to introduce us. All I ask is that you help make the connection and "we" can then decide if there is chemistry. In the meantime, both of us can get out and enjoy...
jrk

Anonymous said...

They're everywhere... You just have to allow yourself to see them... You know, sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover.

Anonymous said...

Ellie,

I have to wonder if I annoy you sometimes *wink*

ellie said...

Not at all...I appreciate your comments.

:)

Erica said...

If you ever want me to introduce you to guys between the ages of 22 and 27, I know tons. I have to warn you though - I'm not convinced you'd find any of them "dateable'!

Anonymous said...

Hey you have any guys to introduce me to ?

Anonymous said...

Ellie, just out of curiosity... do you ever come by my blog ?

ellie said...

JT -- sorry, don't know anyone in Missouri. I do read your blog. Not everyday, but I do catch up with it once or twice a week.

Anonymous said...

lol..

NP. I guess if I quit being lazy I could find a date... Although as of late, my attention has been caught so that I don't really need one.

See you soon !