Thursday, October 13, 2005

When it Rains, It Pours

Literally. It has done nothing but rain in upstate New York for the past week. And I think we have another three or four days of rain. I guess, it's better than snow!

But on to the reason for my column title. After complaining that I was only getting one match a week....after lamenting that there was no one in Ithaca for me....not only did I receive a match of someone from Ithaca, but within the last day, I received five other new matches.

One "closed" the match almost immediately, citing that he was pursuing another relationship. I almost didn't respond to him initially -- one of his pictures was laugh out loud cheesy, back lit by the sun coming through a patio door and his shirt completely open. But then I said to myself, "Ellie, you're being shallow. Cast that net wide, girl." So needless to say, I wasn't entirely disappointed when he closed the match.

The others look promising -- but I've been here before, so I'm being a bit more cautious. A new Mr. Rochester, 37 and a programming engineer and pictured with his two dogs (wins points immediately for that!). Two new Mr. Syracuses, 38-year-old database manager and a 39-year-old network administrator. A Mr. Baldwinsville (who might as well be in the Mr. Syracuse category), 38 and works as an administrator at a paper manufacturing facility. Currently he and Mr. Ithaca are at phase 3 -- the open-ended questions.

But again, I've been here before. And I'm taking on a more realistic approach -- not getting terribly excited about anything or anyone until a real communication takes place, until an actual phone call, or dare I hope, a date occurs.

The trials and tribulations of being single -- I really hope that all the marrieds say to themselves, at least once a week, "thank god, I don't have to go through that anymore."

**********

A Short Fran Story

God bless her....she e-mailed me and told me to look on the Lane Bryant website, that sometimes they have really good sales on sweaters, that I could find some for $10 or $12, that she would buy me a couple (apparently my whining about not having any clothes worked).

I wrote her back, and hope she took it the right way, I wasn't saying it to be snotty, but...."the whole point of losing weight is so I don't have to shop at Lane Bryant anymore."

4 comments:

BD said...

'If a woman is partial to a man, and does not endeavour to conceal it, he must find it out.'

Well it's something to that effect...

Anonymous said...

I admire your perseverance... I just don't have it for myself anymore. While I feel extrememely sad sometimes at the prospect of remaining alone, it really could be worse. I won't lie and say I don't miss being married, but I don't miss it enough to be put myself in harms way anymore.

Have you read the book yet ? ?

PS: I wouldn't go out with a guy who posted that cheesy picture either... :D

ellie said...

I started the book -- it's really good so far. Thanks for suggesting it. It's helpful to know that what I'm feeling, dealing with, etc... is a universal thing.

Anonymous said...

B, are sure that's right ?