Thursday, October 06, 2005

Karma Chameleon

Do I believe in dating karma? Do I think that previously bad things I did are somehow casting a bad spell on my success (or lack of) in finding someone to have a relationship with? Is there a cosmic quid pro quo? It's a possibility, I guess. And it's as good an answer as any as to why a seemingly cool chick like me is still unattached.

But how to reverse the bad karma? How to undo the things I've done? I can't confess them to the person I've wronged. There is no need to hurt that person further. I feel that I'm making up for it by the fact that I've not let it happen again. But is that enough?

Here's the situation...it was Fall 2003 and I had to pick up a Museum VIP from the airport and deliver her and her son to the hotel. They were coming in to Baltimore for a couple days. I dragged a friend along for the ride -- actually I made him drive.

I didn't anticipate staying at the hotel as long as we did. But we stayed for dinner, and evenutally into the hotel bar, drinking and talking with a co-worker of mine and the VIP's son. I don't know what time it was when we ended up leaving -- but a whole lot of beer had been consumed.

When we got to my place, my friend came up to my apartment. I had something for his daughter, and he needed to use the bathroom. While he was doing that, I changed into my pajamas, planning to pass out as soon as he left.

We were standing in the living room, and I hugged him, presumably good-bye. And he kept hugging me. And then he kissed me quickly. Again, I thought nothing of it. A good-bye kiss. A good-bye kiss, however, that kept happening, until the good-bye kiss got longer, and then was not a good-bye kiss.

I pulled away, and he pulled me into his chest. "Oh Red, if only I weren't married. Can you imagine if we had met each other when I was single. We'd be good together."

I should have responded with: "Yea...we would have. But you're married. And you're also not the first man to say this to me." How sad is that?!

Instead, I started to cry, and then he kissed me again. Again for too long of a time. I pulled away. What else could I do? Slap him like some silly B-movie scene? Call him a bastard and kick him out? I sent him on his way, and then fell into a fitful sleep of confusion and guilt.

But it begs the question -- did I lead him on? Did I somehow invite him to think that this was okay? Honestly, I don't think that I did any of those things. But it happened. And it was wrong. And in the world of black and white, I am just as culpable as he was.

And so, two years later, is this moment of indiscretion coming back to haunt me? To somehow curse me? Or am I grasping at straws? Trying to rationalize that, maybe -- just maybe -- I haven't met him yet. For whatever reason.

Not fate. Not curses. Just life. And everything happens in its own due time -- but is not tied to actions of the past.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You attract the men in your life, you can't help it. And I want you to stop beating yourself up about it. It was a long time ago. And you didn't do anything wrong, you never really do. And yes married men seem to be abundent in our lives but that isn't something that we plan. They are the ones out there looking for us, comparing us to what they already have or what the wish they had! Single men are just looking for tube tops...

BD said...

Thats not true...

Anonymous said...

I don't think so either.