Sunday, October 16, 2005

It's All About Family

Why does the weekend always go so quickly? A moment ago it was 10am on Sunday morning, and I was thinking that a nap was in order, that I had the whole day to do whatever I wanted. Suddenly its almost dark out and work is inching closer and closer. At least it is a three-day week for me (yeah!), as I have Thursday and Friday off and am going to Richmond for a long weekend, with an overnight in Baltimore next Saturday to see Wanda.

I went to Syracuse yesterday for the day -- spent a lovely day with my niece and great-nephew. My parents met us at Ryan's "kiddie gym." They were fairly well-behaved, though Fran tried to have a conversation with me about Sue.

"Sue and Frank had to drive to Albany yesterday for a wedding."

"So."

"And they have a ball to go to tonight."

Silence from me.

"For Make a Wish."

More silence.

"Her firm is sponsoring it."

I looked at her, wondering if she was going for a world record on getting "So" as a response from every statement she made -- or if she was that dense that she thought I cared. Apparently my look worked. She stopped talking about them.

*Sigh* I try not to be mean to my mother on purpose. Especially after she gave us money for lunch, and me her credit card to go shopping with. And sometimes I feel like such a bitch, but really -- can she get over the Sue and Frank thing already?

Jenny and I went to the mall -- and it was a good visit. I've been feeling a disconnect between us, and I was worried and uncomfortable about it. And there are times when I hear her stress about her life, and I don't understand. I want that kind of stress -- the kind that comes with a husband, a baby and a house. But when we were together yesterday, I understood better. She has a husband, a baby and a house -- and she doesn't always feel like she's doing it right. But she is. She's doing a great job. And sometimes needs to take a deep breath, but can't because of her 18-month-old demanding all of her attention. And though it makes no difference in the scheme of things or to anyone but me, I feel better about our relationship and understand a little better.

We ate lunch at the food court. And stopped into Gertrude Hawk, with our fake innocence over their everyday samples policy. "Oh you have samples today? Sure, I'll have one. Hmmm...we might to stop on our way out to buy something here." And then of course, we never go back. One smidgen does me good.

And then we shopped. I overestimated my "$100 Fran budget" by $50, but was happy with my purchases -- a pair of corderoy pants (for Ithaca winters on top of the hill), a pleated skirt (both in black for when I start up at BBW at Christmas time and am forced to wear a "uniform" again), two ribbed turtleneck sweaters (blue and pink) and my winter staple, four pairs of black tights.

All in all, a good Saturday in the 'Cuse -- clothes that fit me and a relationship reconnected, got in a birthday visit with my mom (her birthday is today), and spent some time with the baby.

No comments: