Monday, October 03, 2005

I Didn't Expect This....

I just had a really good cry. Actually, it wasn't good, but that's what people call it. Why, I wonder? What's good about crying when you're sad? I guess it's cleansing -- but then your face gets all red and blotchy (at least mine does) and you've got to blow your nose like a goose.

I cried because I found out that one of my interns in Baltimore passed away last week. She was in her early 20s and had had ovarian cancer and a hysterectomy when she was working for me at the Museum at the age of 20. One of my former co-workers called me today to tell me that she died last week. I remember after her surgery, I brought her a personalized baseball signed by Brian Roberts (her absolute favorite player). She was so happy, she cried. And that's how I'll remember her -- happy with a baseball from her favorite player. RIP, Laura Hamilton -- you left us too soon.

And then I cried again because I found out that my dearest friend Wanda had a miscarriage. I tried to be strong, but started to cry before I could even call her. I pulled myself together and we talked about her beautiful daughter, how she's been getting through the past week and how Miranda's little face helps make it better. And then she asked about me, and I tried to give her the 10-words-or-less version of what has been happening with B, and ended up crying again as I explained how completely vunerable I feel about this situation.

And I'm probably still crying because I have PMS. I haven't done this in so long. It might actually be cleansing -- unless I get that headache that I usually get from crying this hard. Tomorrow has to be better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sad :(

Erica said...

Oh I'm so sorry! Mondays always manage to suck somehow, don't they? That's terrible about your intern and your friend. Life is so sad and hard to understand sometimes. But I have a feeling that today is going to be a much better day for you :)