Monday, October 10, 2005

The People's Republic of Ithaca

I know I live in a liberal city -- something like only 2% registered Republicans. And I know that I don't think of myself as strongly attached to one party of the other. I tend to vote on issues, rather than with the party -- and in some issues, I lean to the left, others to the right.

I was at the gym tonight after work. There are two TV's -- one is usually tuned to a cable news station, the other to ESPN. I always walk on the treadmill in front of the ESPN TV -- obviously. I finished my walk/run (5 sets of running for a minute, walking for four) and was doing the lower body circuit.

There were two older women also on the machines near me -- probably in their 60s, and most definitely faculty. One said to the other, "this place is going to hell in a hand basket, they've got FOX News on one TV and god damned sports on the other. I thought this was Ithaca."

OK, I can see where a liberal mind might have a problem with FOX News, but ESPN?! What's wrong with ESPN? Sports are bi-partisan, unless you're talking Yankees-Red Sox, Cowboys-Redskins.

I shot her a dirty look, but continued squeezing my inner and outer thighs as I read the closed captioning of Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon. Even giggled a few times at their jokes. Sports are entertaining, they're a business (one that kept me gainfully employed for five years) and they are a way of life.

To quote ESPN...."where would we be without sports?" I, for one, wouldn't want to know the answer to that question.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know why October is my favorite month? On Sunday you can be switching between football, baseball and NASCAR...all going at the same time! :)

ellie said...

Amen sister!

Anonymous said...

I definitely get into football.. but can leave the rest.. sorry :D