Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

I've been reading the book that Just Thinking recommended, "How to Get a Date Worth Keeping," by Dr. Henry Cloud (see how I did that with my title?!). And I must say, it's speaking to me. Every excuse I can think of, this man has an answer for.

All the good ones are taken.
I'm fat.
I'm afraid of rejection.
I'm too shy.
All my friends are married (or coupled) -- there's no one to go out with.

But it's about taking chances. So when I get back from Richmond on Sunday, I begin my task, as outlined in the book. To keep a log of every man I meet, and whether there is dating potential -- there are three criteria that need to be met. And then I'm guessing that after a few weeks of that, I will need to meet a predetermined number of men each week, hence increasing my chances of going on a date.

And the biggest thing I've learned, only 60 or so pages into the book, is that dating is a learning experience, not about finding a husband. It's an interesting theory -- and one I'm willing to try for a little while.

And so, of course, I'll keep you updated as things progress. I have the feeling that I'm going to be spending a lot of time at Barnes & Noble, chatting up strangers about the books they are thinking of buying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun Ellie :D

ellie said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

It is about learning. Learning how to connect with others, and learning what it is inside of us that has been the barrier to connection.