Wednesday, October 12, 2005

It's Hump Day

I've just been scolded for not writing for two days -- sorry to leave my readers hanging. I feel like I've hit a dry spell, so I'll give a quick recap on what's been going on and hopefully be more inspired tomorrow. So Bubbles, this is for you.

In telling my friend JRK about e-harmony, I suddenly realized that all the men they've sent me as matches have lived in either Binghamton, Rochester or Syracuse (or suburbs of those three cities). None in Ithaca. Does that mean that there are no men in Ithaca for me? I've got two colleges here -- which means two sets of faculty, two sets of coaches (yeah!), two sets of staff....and still, nothing.

But then, yesterday, a message in my inbox from Dr. Neil Warren Clark whatever his name is (and on whom, by the way, I might have to open up a can of whoop ass if I don't get a freakin' date soon!). A match -- in Ithaca! He's 32 and works in "management at an Ivy League school." Gee, I wonder which university that is. Go Big Red!

So, being the overanxious girl I can sometimes be, I immediately sent off my list of five close-ended questions. And now ---- I wait.

On the B side of things (and I know I promised Just Thinking that I would get over him), I realized that the sweet, caring man I was with two weeks ago was just a facade -- he's just another guy. He doesn't know how to deal with the fact that I might like him, he doesn't want to lead me on, so he ignores me. There's a weird vibe between us -- there is nothing casual or flirty or fun anymore. Oh well....I've also realized that it's his loss.

I saw him at the gym last night (he decided that in order to be a rock star, he needs to be in better shape) -- and it was nice to not talk to him. Another friend of mine was on the treadmill next to me, B on the other side of him. And John and I talked baseball, playoffs, football, and Babe Ruth stats and trivia the whole time.

And it hit me -- B has no clue what the hell I'm talking about and would never be able to have this kind of conversation with me. I need a man that can carry on a conversation like that. I need a man who can appreciate what Roger Clemens did on Sunday, and who can understand why yesterday (and deservedly so) was "pick on A-Rod day."

And finally, on the running....I'm up to seven minutes (dear lord, not consecutively) of running. My shins are a little sore today -- I'm guessing I need to stretch out the front of my legs a little more. But it feels great. I am also officially running out of clothes that fit me.

And I've suddenly become that annoying girl in school who was excited about book reports and pop quizzes. I got off the treadmill, totally sweaty and red-faced, and B was standing there, fresh off the stair master, looking like he wanted to die, and I said, with total joy, "Isn't this great? I can't wait to come back tomorrow."

I think if he could have moved his legs, he might have kicked me.


PS....to Just Thinking...my Dr. Henry Cloud book arrived today. I'll have that to read and two baseball games to watch in bed tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay... for the opportunity to see B for what he really is, and could never be... And for the book, I hope it is as helpful to you as it was to me.

Erica said...

Yay! I'm so proud of you for taking up running! You'll be able to run a mile before you know it. I bet B is jealous of how athletic you're becomng. Not that this is a competition or anything. Hee hee :)

ellie said...

It's awful to think -- but the competitive factor does help my motivation. I can't help it -- I just like to win!

BD said...

You would learn more if you gave directed open ended questions - the kind that have a 'right' answer in your mind but it leaves (the trap door, if you like) open doors. Out of curiousity what are the questions?

It's not easy for guys to deal with someone liking them that they don't feel mutually about. The perception is maybe that he couldn't give a shit but really because he cares about you he is giving you an escape route - being the bad guy, the 'different' guy to make it easier for you. I don't know - purely speculation.

True it his loss, there is the alternative - the I don't want to spoil our friendship.

ellie said...

The way e-harmony is set up, you do close-ended (nultiple choice) questions first, then open-ended, then actually communicate with each other. Like I've said before, its a little too chicken soup for the soul for me, but I'm willing to try.

Good take on the B situation. Thanks.