Thursday, February 16, 2006

It's Her World, and I just Live in It

Casey has started a new thing. She falls asleep with me -- in her usual spot, on the outside of the bed, me against the wall, half on one pillow, stretched sideways so that she is coming onto my side of the bed. And then sometime in the middle of the night, she gets up and wanders the house. Perhaps to eat, perhaps to drink, perhaps to check to make sure there are no mice in the house.

Normally, she would come back upstairs and go back to sleep, either next to me or on her kitty condo.

Lately, and this has started to become the norm, lately she has taken to coming back upstairs, standing in the middle of the floor and meowing really loudly. Until I wake up and yell at her. And she meows back. I pat the bed and call her, hoping a head scratching will make her shut up. It usually takes a good three or four times to get her to do this.

When do pets become the master and the master the pet? Or has it always been like this, but it was just too subtle to notice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It took 18 months for me to get Beulah to jump up in the bed with me. Now, she starts at the end of the bed, but by the time we wake up in the morning, she is in the middle of the bed and I have arranged myself around her. She puts up with me...and I love her for it! :)