Friday, January 06, 2006

IC, I Stay

I called on the job this morning. I asked B yesterday if he had heard anything, him being one of my references. He had been out Tuesday and Wednesday, so I was hoping that he had a message on his voice mail. He didn't. So I called.

"Hello Ellie...how are you this fine day?"

"Fine, Fred, thanks. Happy new year."

"You, too."

"I was calling to follow-up and see where things stand with public relations position."

"Well, we made an offer to another person and that offer has been accepted. You should be receiving a letter today -- I sent it out yesterday."

Deep breath. Don't cry. With a smile, "oh, okay, thanks."

"I will tell you that it came down to you and this other person and it was a really difficult decision. You were our second choice."

Keep smiling. "Thank you, that's nice to hear."

And then there was some thanking for the time I spent pulling all my shit together, blah blah, take care, blah.

And so there it is. The PR Goddess was so close to a comeback. I'm bummed about it. Disappointed. A lot, in fact. But not as much as I thought I might be. Knowing that the salary range might have been an issue, I'm grateful that I get to keep to my current budget. I'm not sure what would have been worse -- not getting the job or getting the job and having to reject their offer because of salary. And I do get to keep going to my gym on campus, and have my free personal trainer.

And so look at me, being a positive glass half full kind of person. So maybe I do only get my hips from my mother -- and not her penchant for negativity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww... that must mean a better opportunity awaits...

ellie said...

you are so sweet. thanks!