Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Men

Chris called me last week to see if he could come for a visit this week. I told him I was busy, how about January 2nd? I don't have to work that day and it would be more convenient. He seemed put off a little, but I'm enjoying this new sudden control in our relationship. January 2nd it would be.

He called today to see if I had heard anything from the job (nothing yet) and to say that he has a client meeting on the 2nd, what else works for me that week. I looked at my calendar and we set a date for the following week.

And then there's J. We were to have lunch on Thursday on my way through Baltimore, but we had to cancel that. I figured he would be in New Jersey still next week with his family, but mentioned anyway that I would be back in Baltimore next Wednesday night and leaving on Thursday.

We'll be having a late breakfast on Thursday (sorry Bubbles...I know we planned to eat before you went to work). And so suddenly the possibilities and scenarios are running through my head as to why he seems so eager to see me. Is he separated? Did he kick the evil-never-wanting-to-have-children wife to the curb? Has he decided that he can't deny that "thing" between us? That "thing" that is real, but never acted upon.

Something tells me that I'll be eating a bagel with him at the Panera, or a nice greasy breakfast at the Double T, and then that will be that. A nice friendly catch-up. Nothing more.

I'm too tired to try to analyze any of this, to create some sort of generic, it could apply to most single women thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie--- Are you really trying to take someone else's husband... that's bad karma you know.

ellie said...

I would never do that. It's notlike that. In another time, in another place -- things could have been differently between us. I accept that it can't be -- but sometimes I wish. It's hard to explain. Bubbles -- you've seen it first-hand. Can you explain it any better?

Anonymous said...

They have a chemistry. Its more than physical...They have an admiration and respect for each other that I have only seen a few times in my life. Ellie would NEVER try to steal someone's husband. I think that they are the "2 ships passing in the night". That no matter what they are doing or how far away they are from each other, something keeps them connected. I will have to agree, its hard to explain. It's one of those strange things that happen to people. You think that there is only one person out there for you, one "soul-mate" and then out of no where...*sigh* that's the best I can do....It's just one of those things...