Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Interview

I had my second interview today -- in person, with eight people. Sometimes that can be intimidating, but it seemed okay today. They all had written out questions, so there was never that awkward pause of "is someone going to say something?"

I think it went very well....they did ask tough destination marketing, intergrated marketing, web optimization questions...but rather than try to sound like I was bull shitting them, I said I'm not sure if I've heard that term but I would guess it to mean....

I talked a lot about media successes and web marketing. No one had any questions about my sample press release that I had to write for them and then talk them through it (didn't know I would have to do that!!). I did mention that it was a very hard press release to write, that the event was so diverse that it was hard to get my hands around. They all laughed and said, that's why we picked it. Of course it is. I walked them through my thought process in how I wrote what I did, and also my strategies for creating a more complete press kit, who I would send that to, and what I would include in it.

I also brought a DVD of national, regional and local media (TV) clips that I left with them. It has clips on there from the Today Show, Nickelodeon, Comcast Sports Net (mid-Atlantic region) and the San Diego Padres pre-game show. Overall an impressive bunch of clips, if I do say so myself. God, I wish I had the Travel Channel clip. I remember saying stuff in that interview and then was like, "that was great...what did I just say?"

The have one more interview on Friday. When the director walked me out, I mentioned that I would be leaving for Virginia on the 22nd but available by cell phone if needed. And when I wished him a happy holiday, he said "we'll be talking before that." I'll take that as a good sign, but not get overly freaked out if I don't hear from him next week, knowing that things come up.

I also mentioned that I did include a reference from my current job, though not my boss (who he knows, but promised me confidentiality) -- someone who can speak to my web marketing strengths. And I had a great conversation with my former boss last night. He no longer hates me for leaving him -- he just remembers the good times, the times I worked my ass off for him, how much fun we had, and I'm confident that he will give me a great reference.

So...that's that. Glad it's over...it was harder than most interviews, but going by how the phone interview went, it was about what I suspected and I think I did well. And now we wait. And then....and then we talk salary. And negotiate. Which is not something I do well. Money is not my thing. That's why I need a husband to give me an allowance -- but that's a story for another day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need an allowance cuz I'm lazy, but I don't negotiate well either !