Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Have you hugged a veteran today?

I don't usually write about stuff like this. But I couldn't let today go by without saying outloud, even if I have no WWII veteran in my life, thank you.

Before I left Baltimore, I went to the WWII memorial in Washington. It was the weekend before its official opening, and there were hundreds, maybe thousands, of veterans walking around. Some acting like old college buddies, hugging and getting their pictures taken. But others, very solemn, perhaps remembering those who couldn't be there with them for the opening. I was glad that I had sunglasses on, so that no one could see my tears.

It was moving and touching, and I was glad that I was able to experience it. There was one veteran, in a wheelchair, looking at one of the stone tableaus. He looked at me, and I said simply, "thank you."

He smiled and grabbed my hand, and said, "no, thank you."

Thank you for what? Who knows? I was too choked up to ask. Maybe thank you for saying thank you, thank you for being appreciative, thank you for being in my generation and wanting to reflect at this memorial...or maybe just thank you for not overlooking him.

I don't know. And honestly, I don't need to know. If you have a veteran in your life, a veteran of any war, don't just say thank you on Veterans Day. They fought hard every day -- still fight hard every day -- they deserve to be appreciated more than just once a year.

And so on today's anniversary, it gives me pause to stop and think. And say thank you.

2 comments:

Okie said...

I am a patriot, as well. It is sad how little recognition our veterans receive.

I also find quite disturbing the lack of patriotism in our generation. It is refreshing to see someone express it.

Anonymous said...

I love and appreciate all veterans.