Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Flip a coin

I spent the last two days in computer training. Two days that I really didn't need to be involved in. It was all very technical, all very "over my head," and all very "not what I will be working on." I'm so glad its over. Suddenly, I've gotten very busy at work. And suddenly -- or maybe not so suddenly -- I am very fed up with most of my clients, one of whom now thinks he's a designer. He took the first proof of a postcard and recreated three designs in Photoshop.

Wouldn't it be nice to think that I have the next two days in the office, that they could be relatively quiet and allow me to catch up on some things? Yea, it would be nice. But it's not going to happen. The consultant, from a couple months ago, will be back with her report. First she is meeting with each of us individually or in small groups. The whole group will also meet with her for an hour tomorrow. Then on Friday, we have a retreat from 9 to 1.

What waste of two days. There are factions of co-workers who have gone behind my boss's back, who have talked to the vice president about things. It's all very political, it's all very shady, and the phone call for a second interview couldn't have come at a better time.

When I got home from the gym tonight, I had a message waiting. Second interview with the staff next Wednesday, and he would like me to write a sample press release and about the Lights in Winter Festival. It's been over a year since I've written a press release, but I've got time to work on it.

So the next question is, who do I use as references? The obvious choice, for what this job entails, would be my former boss. But has he forgiven me enough for "leaving him" to give me the glowing recommendation that I deserve? I might have to just call him this weekend and see. I have seen him, and I have recently communicated with him by e-mail. I just have to make sure that Bitch-stine doesn't get involved.

So there's one. J of Baltimore would be two -- not only is his title and company impressive -- but he would be able to speak to my organizational and event planning skills. And then I was thinking of asking B. I trust him to keep my confidence. And he would be able to speak to my web skills -- not counting the last two boring days -- my ability to re-architect sites and work with existing content.

And so I find myself at a crossroads, once again. Two sides of the same coin with my career, and who knows which side I'll end up with. I can only hope -- and try to believe -- that no matter what happens, either at the school or the CVB, that it's what is supposed to happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow... Be careful.