Monday, March 30, 2009

J on the Heels of E

I was so into thinking about E and our day together, that I forgot one of the best parts of the story. I got home from Pittsfield -- from driving seven hours, from spending an amazingly tiring three or four hours with E -- and practically passed out.

Around midnight, my cell phone beeped. (J doesn't get the four beeps anymore.) I looked at the phone. Text message from J. "hey" I closed the phone and rolled back over, falling right back asleep.

About four hours later, I woke up confused, did J call last night? I reached for my phone, and looked at my inbox. Sure enough, there it was. 12:04am. Closed it again, and went back to sleep.

Once I was at work, I emailed him. "Sorry I missed your text. How are you?"

"Good, just called to say hi."

"At midnight? I think you were calling for more than hi. You're traveling, I assume?"

"In Fort Lauderdale for a few days, going home today."

It was so nice to not even be tempted to call him back, to answer his text, to play his games. Of course, I'm not arrogant enough to think that he couldn't tempt me again. I know he could.

But I think knowing is half the battle.

At least, I hope it is.

No comments: