Tuesday, March 24, 2009

46 Doesn't Mean Old-Age

If I'm 46, single and childless....I hope to god I'm kicking up my heels and keeping them in the air. I have a good friend who is in her mid-40s, single, no kids. And she lives like a nun. And complains about it.

Now I'm not saying she has to meet a stranger in a hotel in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, after talking to him mostly via text, for an afternoon of mind-blowing sex. I'm not saying that at all. But she needs to put herself out there. And she needs to take chances.

She has been pining over the same man from work for years, but she doesn't do anything about it. They go out for happy hour in a group setting -- a group that sits at a table, rather than standing around the high-tops or at the bar, but that's going to get me off on a whole other tangent. The group setting and where they sit doesn't allow for mingling. It relies on sheer luck for her to be near him.

At the last happy hour, she ended up going to Starbucks with him for coffee. And they talked for several hours. My questions for her....did he walk you to your car? Did he kiss you? Did you kiss him?

Her answers....yes, no and oh my god no. You're 46. You're both single. Get over it. And so while I can understand insecurities and self-confidence issues, I also understand that life is short.

Have fun.

Live it up.

And next time, lean in for the kiss. Nine times out of 10, if you lean in, he'll go in for the kill and it'll still be him kissing you.

No comments: