Monday, August 11, 2008

Ice Cream, part 2

I'm a planner. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. But either way, I am a planner and not an overly spontaneous person. For the most part, I like to know what I'm doing on any given day.

Yesterday, after the gym, I did grocery shopping (and on a side note, have no idea how I spent $100) and then home. Match-boy called about 4:30 and asked what I was doing, if I had any plans for the night. When I replied no, he asked what I wanted to do.

"Why don't we meet somewhere for ice cream?"

"You still want ice cream?!"

"Sure...and really what else is there to do in this town?"

"I can think of some things."

I let that comment go by. I don't want to sound like a bitch. "Are you up for ice cream?"

He replied that he was, that he was out in some podunk town about 45 minutes from home, but that he wouldn't be much longer and would call me back. In my mind, "not much longer" and knowing where he was, I was thinking he would call me about 6 and we would meet about 7.

I watched the Olympics, the pitiful Yankees game, and the SVU marathon on USA...and waited. Do we notice a pattern here?

I talked to Bubbles about 7:15 and we decided that I would give him until 7:30, and then I was going to get ready for bed. Fool that I am, I had been sitting and waiting, so I didn't start any project because I wanted to be ready to go when he called. I won't make that mistake again.

And so 7:30 came and went. I locked up downstairs and went up to my room. Washed my face, figured out what to wear to work today, packed my gym bag, etc. I talked to my niece for a little while about 8, and then at 8:30, a text came through.

"So are you watching the cubs and cards game"

WTF! So I replied "no getting ready for work tomorrow and bed"

"Need any help"

That right there solidified his motives to me. We've met once. We've texted for a week, but have really had no meaningful phone conversations. I ignored the comment, and continued reading my book.

About 45 minutes later, he texted again. "just playing"

I wrote back "good night" but what I really meant was good-bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sigh-
have you ever noticed that the people who got married after meeting thier mate on match did that like 5 years ago? It's like match was great then, but now men have figured out its just a quick way to get laid without having to leave the house. A friend of mine said that his buddies love match. A few phone calls and they get laid. WHO ARE THESE WOMEN? And why are they ruining it for the rest of us?