Thursday, June 23, 2005

Do I just stick my toe in -- or jump right in?

I signed up for Yahoo personals last weekend. They had a seven-day free trial, and I bit the bullet, pulled out my credit card and let them charge me (beginning yesterday) for $19.99 for one month. We'll see what transpires from this.

It could either be really good for my ego -- or really bad for the type of guy I think I'm worthy of. So far, the few who have reached out and sent me an "icebreaker" -- a predetermined cheesy pick-up, along the lines of "I like your profile. Tell me more." -- have not piqued my interest in any way, shape of form.

There were a couple that made me cry indignantly out loud. I chose as the age range for my potential suiter a reasonable 32 to 45. Seemed like nice round numbers. I have received ice breakers from a 24-year-old and a 55-year-old. (And while I was recently "with" someone 20 years my senior -- and that's a story for another day -- this 55-year-old looked 65.)

Does that make me shallow? For crying out loud, I clearly indicated that I want children. Do I really need to indicate that I would like children with someone who will be alive and/or coherent when they graduate from high school?

I have also sent two "icebreakers" myself. To two averagely attractive men, within my age range, and who seemed to have a good sampling of the same values. I have yet to hear from them.

Perhaps my describing myself as "a few extra pound" in body type is off-putting. Do I lie and say average, when clearly the pictures in my profile show that I have a very proportioned body -- what that translates to though is big boobs = some hips.

So far, week one of this experiement isn't a great success. I'm trying not to let it rule my life. I just hope I remember to cancel it before it automatically renews me for month two.

No comments: