Tuesday, June 21, 2005

It's like finding a new job...

...so says Oprah: looking for a man is like looking for a new job -- you've got to put your feelers out, let people know you're looking and ask if anyone knows of anyone with "an opening."

Hmmm....it feels a little desperate, but I'm willing to try. I guess that the people I have asked to be on the look-out don't have to know that I've asked more than just them. I haven't actually been set up yet, but my friend Kim at work has actually asked me lots of questions, sort of a pre-interview. What physical type do you like? Age? Height? Qualities?

The shallow questions are easy to answer, and I think most people would agree with me (what does that say about our society?). But honestly, you know if you're more attracted to blondes than brunettes. You know if you'd prefer your boyfriend to be taller than you. Let's face it -- it really is easier to answer the "book cover" questions. But qualities? How to answer that without sounding like a cliche-ridden listing on match.com.

I want someone who can make me laugh, who's compassionate and caring. Who thinks family is important. Who is loyal and respectful, trusting and giving.

Just once I'd like to see a listing that has phrases like: serial filanderer, bitch, likes to lie and cheat, gold-digging whore seeks married man, hate kids, etc.

So if we're all looking for basically the same kind of decent person on the inside, it really does come down to looks. (Yikes!)

Am I attracted to you physically? Do I think you're hot? Then, and only then will I get to know you and decide if I could stand looking at you over dinner.

Back to Kim...I answered her questions, actually with the above cliches that I just mocked. I saw her today -- and she mentioned that she's still looking for me. No one yet.

I guess I should be patient -- it did take me over a year to find a job in my most recent job search. And I did look on-line for that -- perhaps I should once again consider the power of the internet. And so, with some trepidation, I have posted a profile on Yahoo personals. Now begins my screening process, and I will truly learn just how shallow I am.

And we're off...

No comments: