Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Injectables Training

After going through injectable training yesterday, now I know why Jodi recommended the surgery first. Once the surgery is over (it is scheduled for June 11) and I'm clear to try again, I'm going to go through a lot.

On day three of my cycle, I'll begin daily blood work to measure my estrodial level and of course, the ever enjoyable internal ultrasound. And I'll speak to someone from the office each day and they'll tell me how much Gonal-F to inject in my stomach (not as bad as it sounds -- the needle is really small and thin). Every day. Until my levels get to where they need to be and then I'll go in for another internal ultrasound and if I have no more than four mature follicles, I will give myself a shot of hCG, which will induce ovulation, and then I will get inseminated the next day.

And I should be prepared for bloating beyond the bloat I have when I get the shot of hCG. I have to weigh myself every day and really watch my diet since I could possibly gain as much as 10 pounds from the medicine and that would be an indication of my ovaries going into hyper-stimulation and then shutting down. On the bright side, the belly fat (that I've gained from the Clomid) really is a side effect of the Clomid and hopefully it shouldn't be as bad with the Gonal-F.

And I should be prepared to not go on vacation since I will be the hospital lab's best patient and will need to be in daily contact with the doctor's office so I know what dosage to give myself with the Gonal-F pen.

My chances of multiples goes up (5% for triplets, 20-30% for twins), but with that, my chances of conceiving just one also goes up. It's about at 50-60% now. I can live with those odds.

1 comment:

Clownface said...

Hey there kiddo. Hang in there. Now that I've figured out who "ellie" is, I am more than happy to be in your camp as you move through this part of your journey - the pain, the joy, the questioning, yada yada. (Big sister H did it, as have many friends - more than 1/2 dozen.)