Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Case of the Exploding Soda Can

OK, it was a 12-pack, not a case, but I like the way that sounds -- like the title of a Nancy Drew book.

Last week, it was unblessedly hot in upstate New York -- over 90 degrees for several days. I learned -- the hard way -- that you shouldn't leave cans of soda in the car. When I finally got around to bringing the 12-pack in, it was dripping. I opened it to discover an empty can, split in the middle, and 11 others grossly deformed.

I put the soda in the car this morning, to take back to the store after work. I should mention that it was another unblessedly hot day today -- high 80s, low 90s. I carried the soda package in, and as I was explaining to the girl behind the customer service desk that a can had exploded, I thought I should pull one out for a prop and .... BAM. Yup, another exploded. All over the front of my work clothes, all over the floor and the counter.

And this is what I love about Wegmans -- in less than three minutes, I had three customer service people with paper towels and wet wipes, as well as two managers, fawning all over me. I think if they could have, they would have given me other clothes to change into, and probably helped me change! They kept insisting that the would dry clean what I was wearing.

I needed to pick up a few things, but the front of my shirt was soaked. So I said, "I'll be back." I went home, changed and brought my clothes back to Wegmans, where it will be dry-cleaned, gratis, and ready for pick-up on Friday after 5pm.

No comments: