Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chugging along

I am on day 12 of giving myself two shots a day. I have had five ultrasounds and given five blood samples in the past two weeks. As of this morning, I have four egg follicles -- one 15mm, the others 5 to 7 mm.

What does all of this mean? I have no idea, other than my patience is wearing thin. I'm an emotional wreck. I cry easily. I'm cranky. And after today's ultrasound, two days after the fertility guru estimated that he would do the egg retrieval, I still have to give myself two shots a day. Friday, I go in for yet another ultrasound and more blood work.

I'm trying not to complain. I'm trying not to feel down. And I'm trying to stay positive. I'm trying.

Last night when I was falling asleep, I was pretty low. I didn't want to talk to anyone, didn't want to try to explain what I was feeling. I listened to my IVF meditation CD and then tried to sleep. I was thinking about J, trying not to think about it, but thinking about him nonetheless.

And he came through for me. About 11:20, my phone beeped. Four quick beeps. I rolled over and looked at the phone. "One new text message from J."

We texted a few times and then when he said he wasn't at the bar anymore, I called him. And we chatted. He actually growled at the "conversation" finale. And then, because he's not just some guy looking for a good time, not just some guy looking to get laid, or in this case, getting a little phone sex, he asked how things were going.

I knew what he meant, but didn't want to think about it all again. I said things were fine, busy, etc. But he pressed me. "How's it going with the baby thing?"

I rolled over onto my stomach, leaned up on one elbow, and managed to tell him that I was frustrated, that I was scared. I told him about my local doctor's assessment of my egg reserve, and then the fertility guru saying it was worth a shot. He asked when I would know if this month worked and to please keep him informed about what's going on.

And then he said, if this doesn't work, what are your options. I told him my choices were using an egg donor -- for about $11,000 -- or going the adoption route -- for about $30-40,000.

He asked thoughtful questions, without being intrusive. I told him I had a good support system and that if I have to do one of the two expensive options, that my friends were ready to have a fund-raiser to help with it, and that I might need some autographed items.

"You just tell me when and how many, and I'll get you whatever you need."

How can I not be falling for this guy? I'm trying to keep my emotions at arm's length, all the while ignoring the 7th commandment. I'm curious to know what's going on in Ellicott City with him, but I've told him -- and they are rules that I've played by in the past -- no questions, no expectations.

It's been seven years since the night of the musem's holiday party, where we spent most of the time in my office or in an exhibit gallery corner. Since that same night when we did shots of tequila at the Phoenix and ended up back at my apartment. Since that night when I asked him, "what's the deal with the ring on and then the ring off?" And he bolted up and out, and I respected it, and I never crossed boundaries again.

Until he did. And now I don't know how far he is willing to go, or why he's suddenly willing to go this far.

Wake up call, caught you in the morning
with another one in my bed
Don't you care about me anymore?
Don't you care about me? I don't think so.

No comments: