Sunday, July 09, 2006

I Don't Get it

"I don't get it." The words uttered by Tom Hanks in Big, as he's in his first toy concept meeting, causing the dad from Home Alone to label him ruthless.

And today, I don't get it. I don't get why all week I look forward to the weekend, and then midday Saturday can't wait to go back to work.

I don't get why relationships change with the distance of miles between us, why as the number of miles shrink so does the enssence of the relationship.

I don't get why my mother can annoy me so one minute, and then in the next instance remind me why I love her so much.

I don't get how the ants can crawl into my hummingbird feeder and not drown. And how do they know the precise moment I've made new sugar water -- they're waiting for me on the hangar when I go to put it back up.

I don't get why it's so hard for adults to make friends, but kids on a playground can become BFF in an instant.

I don't get how I can work out seven days a week, and still be hovering between the same damned three pounds -- back and forth, up and down.

I don't get why I'm just now realizing that I had a social life in Baltimore.

I believe in everything for a reason. I don't get why Ithaca is the right place. I don't get why being single at 36 is the right thing.

I don't get a lot of things -- I guess if I did, if life were easy, then life would be boring.

I would really like that kind of boring, just once.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, me too...

SILA said...

i just too left a lot of friends and got to a new place,,,.....feels odd

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you do...that is why we are women...strong relationships, true relationships do last even though the miles/distance is great.
You do have a social life in Ithaca, it is just different than the one you had in Baltimore.
Whether or not you believe it, our lives are easy...we just have to stop and smell the whatever it is that makes us remember...
Your great friends are here...for you!
jrk